I usually don’t recommend that dieters try to lose weight in a week. But lets face it – we all have special occasions when we need to lose weight in seven days and we’ll do just about anything to slim down quickly. So if you’re serious about a one-week weight loss plan, these are the two steps you can take to change your diet and your daily routine for quick weight loss.
2 Steps to Lose Weight in a Week
1. Change Your Diet to Lose Weight
You don’t have time to count calories, balance micronutrients and manage your energy balance. Those are the steps you would take to make lasting changes to your body. Instead eliminate these three things from your diet for one week:
- Baked goods. For seven days, don’t eat any sweet or savory baked goods. That means you don’t eat cake, cookies, cupcakes, muffins, bread, or bagels. You should also pass up salty baked snack foods like pretzels, baked chips or tortilla strips. Got a sweet tooth? Eat a single serving of fresh fruit. When you need something crunchy, grab some raw veggies.
- Fried foods. Fried foods are high in calories and high in salt. So don’t eat any fish, poultry or meat that is breaded or fried. No chicken nuggets, french fries, potato chips, battered or fried veggies. Keep in mind that many frozen products (like frozen french fries) are fried before they are frozen, so those are on the banned list as well. Eat lean protein that is grilled without oil and free from sauces and spreads.
- High calorie drinks. Sweetened beverages are full of calories. Drink water this week and avoid all alcohol (wine, beer and cocktails), juice, sports drinks, sweetened teas, flavored coffee drinks, soda, and commercially flavored water (things like vitamin waters). You can make flavored water at home if you don’t like plain water.
2. Increase Daily Movement for One Week
In seven days, you don’t have time to put together a total weight loss workout program. And if you try to do hard core fat-burning workouts without any previous experience, you could injure yourself. So if you want to lose weight in a week, you’ll increase your steps per day to burn more calories.
If you currently exercise, continue to do your normal workouts and add up to 10,000 steps per day. If you don’t exercise at all, add 10,000 steps to your daily routine. Want bonus points? See if you can increase the number to 15,000 or even 20,000 steps per day. Use an activity monitor or a downloadable app to measure your steps per day.
If you follow these two steps and don’t make any other changes to your normal routine (don’t eat more because you’re walking more) you should be able to lose weight in a week. But keep in mind that unless you make permanent changes to your lifestyle, the weight loss is not likely to last. If you’re ready to lose weight for good, take just one hour to set up a solid plan for long term weight loss to get a better body that lasts.